When you have kids, you spend just about every moment of your life worrying about their health and safety. One of the most important times to make sure they are as safe as possible is when they are in the car. You may be the safest driver on the road, but you still have to be prepared for bad weather and bad drivers that may come out of nowhere. One way to protect your little one is to make sure you are driving a newer vehicle that has a high safety rating from the Institute for Highway Safety. The next thing you need to do is to make sure that you have the right car seat for your little one and that it is installed correctly.
Choosing a Car Seat
When you set out to buy a car seat you need to consider three things:
- Your baby’s age
- Your baby’s weight and height
- Whether the car seat meets safety standards
Do’s and Don’ts of Buying a Car Seat
- DO Pick a Car Seat with a Five-Point Harness
- DO Evaluate Weight Limits
- DO research the Car Seat Online and Read Reviews & Recall Info
- DON’T Buy a Used Car Seat
- DON’T Buy an expired Car Seat
- DON’T Buy a Recalled Car Seat
Do’s and Don’ts of Putting Child in the Car Seat
- DO Make sure car seat harness is snug
- DO Clean car seats regularly
- DON’T Put your child in a heavy winter coat in the car seat
- DON’T Allow your child to adjust the harness
- DON’T Put the Car Seat in the Front Seat of the Car
- DON’T continue to use a Car Seat after you have been in an accident
Installing Your Car Seat
Proper technique is always critical in making sure your child is safely secure in their child car seat. Many people incorrectly install a car seats and never even know it. You should always review the instruction manual that came with your car seat and also your vehicle’s manual when you are installing your car seat. If you want help installing your car seat, you can go to a Child Car Seat Inspection Station and the trained staff there will help you ensure that your little one is as safe as possible!
Keep your little one as safe as possible and have the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you have followed all of the car seat safety guidelines!